Sunday, September 14, 2008

Another Sunday Meal...Shrimp and Grits!

Alas - I'm here. I've been away, but not intentionally. I didn't know that while I was on a quest to become more creative it would take so much of my energy. Because I'm trying to get to the big leagues, I have to put more more thought and emphasis on some of the creative things I do. But you know what's interesting? I've never really considered myself all that creative. Other people think so - me, not as much. Well, you didn't come here to hear about that. You came for food, right? So let's get to it.

Today (or yesterday rather), I felt a bit more of my southern roots (no worries, I'm changing regions soon - lol). I took a classic - and well, gave it the old DTW twist. The classic shrimp and grits grew up a bit. I took grits and fattened them up with tons of parm, cream, and parsley. I make a great sausage gravy that started with a great breakfast staple (not bacon this time) and it was introduced with layers of flavor courtesy of shallots and garlic. The pan gravy was great and I poached the shrimp in the gravy until nice and tender. You can have shrimp and grits without a biscuit - but what's the use. A reader e-mailed me a great recipe for a quick and no fuss biscuit that she got from America's Test Kitchen (we love that show, right?). I'm no baker - but I figured what they heck, I'd give it a try. I did...it was super easy and I'll do it again without any problem. Just a plain biscuit, you ask? Of course not - here's the twist. How about a SCAMPI BUTTER? Yes, that's right! The same ingredients you find in a good shrimp scampi get incorporated into room temperature butter to make the best compound butter you've ever had! It's all you need, minus the shrimp, to have a great time!

Here are the recipes. Enjoy...along with the many pics I took!
-DTW

Oh yea, PS - the Everyday Cookin' budget is still low - lol...so those triangle plates - well, they're here to stay for a while. It's either a love or hate relationship - lol. I'm growing a bit tired of them, but you know, they keep me inspired. We love inspiration, right?


Scampi Butter

1 stick of room temperature butter
1 cup of white wine
1 clove of garlic, grated
Juice and zest of a half of a lemon
1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley

Reduce the white wine until it's almost evaporated. Put it on medium high until it reduces by at least half. Grate in a clove of garlic and remove from the heat. The residual heat will cook the garlic and continue to reduce the liquid. Once cooled remove from sauce pot. Add all other ingredients and combine thoroughly. You can remold the butter by using parchment paper or plastic wrap. Store in the fridge until ready to use. (This butter is perfect over breads and steamed veggies).

Shrimp and Grits
1 2/3 cups of low sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup of quick cooking grits
1/4 cup of heavy cream
1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 table spoon of chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

1/2 pound of gulf shrimp, cleaned, peeled, and deveined
1 large shallot
1 clove of garlic
1/3 cup of breakfast pork sausage
1 tablespoon of flour
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 cup of low sodium chicken stock
2 tablespoons of heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon of chopped basil

For Grits
Bring chicken stock to a boil. Stir in grits and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook by constantly stirring for 2-3 minutes. You should have a thick consistency. Add cream and continue to stir for another 2 minutes. Whisk in cheese and parsley. Taste for salt and pepper. Remove from heat until ready to serve.

For Sausage Gravy and Shrimp
Saute pork sausage, shallots, and garlic with no oil until sausage is brown. Add olive oil and whisk in flour to combine. Cook mixture for at least one minute. Add chicken stock slowly - mixture should immediately thicken. Add shrimp, basil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Reduce heat and let simmer until shrimp have been poached.

Biscuits (From America's Test Kitchen)

2 cups of all purpose flour
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of baking powder
1/2 tablespoon of salt
1 1/2 cups of heavy cream

(Here's how I made them) Combine all ingredients and knead until well incorporated. Roll out using a rolling pin. I used a can (the same one from the chicken stock) to cut out the biscuits. I topped them with an egg wash and I put them on a non stick cookie sheet in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. That was it...and they were good!

***Warning - these pictures are totally out of order...but you get the idea - lol***


Me testing the biscuits - quality control...that's what we're calling it!

















Just cleaned the shrimp - ready to rock and roll!

















Fattening up the grits...I'm thinking you could totally use polenta!

















The shrimp and gravy mixture!

















The plating...I should have totally used a bowl. But you live and learn!

















Shallots and sliced garlic...they should make this into a candy.

















You know what brand I endorse - lol.

















They look good, right?

















Starting the process...the house smelled great!

















These are what grits come in. See my Blackberry - lol? Man on the move!
















About to roll out the dough. I'm soooo not a baker. I had flour EVERYWHERE!

















Not too bad, huh?
















It was really easy.

















Putting on the egg wash.

















The scampi butter ingredients...and my new cutting board - lol.
















About to reduce the white wine.

















Happy face plate...it was good!

















The final plating. Bad lighting and I should have used a bowl. See, I'm sharing my mistakes.
















the finished butter - with lemon seeds and all - lol.

















The plating of the grits.






32 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've never had biscuits, I've never had shrimp & grits, and boy am I feeling deprived!

Janine said...

Add some shredded cheddar to the biscuit dough and drizzle the scampi butter with some parley over the biscuits just before they're done baking bake till they get nice and brown. So delicious!

Your biscuits are pretty, I just spoon mine on the sheet. They're lumpy but they taste good:)

www.cheapcookinmama.blogspot.com

Jazzy said...

I'm with Janine...add some cheddar cheese to the biscuit dough and brush with that butter before they bake. Taste just like those biscuits from Red Lobsters.

Damn...I feel like Chris Rock in "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka"...I shole iz hongry!

*side eye'g Foodcat*...you've never had biscuits before???

RealHustla said...

For someone who doesn't bake, those biscuits came out nice.

You lay down and take naps right after you eat like this, huh?

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That dish looks and sounds totally yummy! Very tempting! nice biscuits, by the way!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, wonderdul job!

I think shrimp & grits can be served on a plate. Just adjust the portion size of the grits. Use a smalle portion of grits. You have enough ingredients to stiffen build up the center as a focul point. I'd only use a bowl if I'm serving it family style, and in that form, I'd separate the shrimp & grits.

I wanna run to the kitchen and make some now.

Great post.

La Bella Cooks said...

I have never tried grits, but I think you just gave me the nudge to give them a try. Looks divine. Love the blackberry! I have the world edition & love it ...we are spoiled, arent we?

Don said...

You're a bad man with the recipe's. Looks like something that comes from the kitchen of an expensive restuarant.

Yeah, you definitely deserved that award.

Anonymous said...

*walking to the kitchen and boiling water*

I want some GRITS now!!!

Ooh.....betta believe that the minute I touch back into the Windy City, you are the FIRST person I'm calling. I want that!!

I am going to duplicate that recipe though. I might be able to catch a man with that meal!

Suite B said...

OMG...I so want to be your friend. I have it all planned out.

I become your friend

You try to teach me how to cook

You give up because cooking isn't in my blood

You start to feel bad for me

Because I'm your friend we make a deal.

I will buy your groceries for life....

if you cook for me for life...

and let me tell my husband to be that it's my cooking.

Yeah that sounds like a plan to me. You're my new BFF you just don't know it yet...LOL

Anonymous said...

I so want some shrimp and grits right now. But I don't think I can get grits here, so i'll have to try it with polenta. It looks great though.

Jeanne said...

I've never had either grits OR biscuits (although from the recipe I think they are similar to what I grew up calling scones...) - I feel as if I need to come on a cultural exchange to your house!! :) And I'm on the "love the plates" camp, btw.

Sugar Bear said...

Yum! I love grits but we don't often eat them up here in the northeast. I've got to see if the grocery store carries them! I just found you through the Whistlestop Cafe and look forward to many return visits.
Karla

glamah16 said...

Looking good Darius. I cant wait to see what more you come up with from other regions as well.

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

You eat a lot of shrimp, my friend. Or is it always on sale? lol

I want to help all of your readers who have never had biscuits. This makes me cry a little (ok, a lot) on the inside. I feel like it is a disservice to the world, if I don't help.

http://niksnacks.blogspot.com/2008/07/biscuit-baker-memory-stick-maker.html

One Man’s Opinion said...

Okay, first of all I need your ass to hurry up and get famous so I can say I knew him when. Don't be trying to deny a brother after you hit the big time either. Thanks right, hurry up and get on one of those damn reality cooking contest shows.

Second, I need you to take better pictures of your food. The colors are not true. They just ain't. But I love the way you paint the picture of your food with you words, because I gotta tell you...when I heard Grits and Shrimp, I was like, "Yuck".

Proud Italian Cook said...

I never had grits, do you believe it? I do love polenta though. So I picture this with polenta and I'm likin it!

The CDM said...

Minus the shallots, this is something I can find myself getting into. Anyone who calls you a good cook ought to be slapped. You my friend, are a bonafide CHEF!

Nicole said...

Love scampi! But I have never had grits. Can you believe it? They don't offer them here much and something about the name... sounds... gritty...

Anonymous said...

Just found this blog! love what you're doing. This dish looks AMAZING! You're reminding me that I've got to get some grits in my life SOON!

Barbara GF said...

I can't say I've ever had grits, Darius, but I would try yours if they were made with veggie stock — the recipe reminds me of polenta, which I love!

Anonymous said...

Grits have been very , very good to me! Your take looks scrumptious! I'll send you my recipe for Pumpkin grits if you'd like!

She Draws said...

Okay...you know I'm trying to cut back so what you need to do is cook some stuff I can eat...LOL

Go B.

Prudy said...

Oh how I love grits and these look wonderful.

Robert E. Morgan, Jr. said...

My wife and I will be doing this on Saturday! wish us luck

Anonymous said...

You know your foods look sort of like Thai dishes.....can you cook Thai? If so can you show me how to prepare it. Ummm, my favorite is drunken noodles with shrimp, and Pad Thai. Hope to hear from you soon.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Hmmm - the fact that you all are pitying me for not having had biscuits I think means I am so missing out! OK. Tomorrow I will make biscuits.

Gloria Baker said...

Darius I think thet look absolutely tasty!!! well done man!!!! xxxGloria

Jameil said...

i don't like shrimp but mmmmm!! you make it look good! not a shallots and garlic candy! hilarity!!

Marianna said...

you do not understand how much i love the captions you have with each image! they make me chuckle! and plus the food looks good, so what more can you ask for?

Anonymous said...

Oh man, you're seriously going to make me fat. I want to try everything you make!

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read the article. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.