Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Sunday Meal - It's Salmon


So, you can probably tell (with the abundance of salmon dishes) that salmon has been on sale recently. You're right! It has been...thus, the reason why my mind is going bananas with salmon dishes.


Try this on for size...a parmesan crusted salmon steak, over a bed of creamed spinach risotto, surrounded by a lemon scented brodetto and basil oil. Sounds complicated, right? Trust me...it's not. Most of all I'm staying true to who I am - it's quick, easy, and can totally me added to our repitoire of everyday cookin!


Parmesan Crusted Salmon Steaks
- 3 medium sized salmon steaks
- 1/4 cup of cornmeal
- 1/4 cup of finely grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil


Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash and pat the steaks dry. Season with salt and pepper. Combine cheese and cornmeal mixture. Once well combined, dredge fish. Heat an oven proof skillet to medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add oil. When oil begins to waft, add fish skin side down until golden brown. The fish won't be cooked all the way, that's okay. Turn the fish over and place in hot oven for about 4-5 more minutes, or until fish is completely cooked on the inside.


Creamed Spinach Risotto
Risotto
- 1 cup of Arbollo rice
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper

Creamed Spinach
- 5 strips of thick cut bacon, cut into small pieces
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste

Direction:
Risotto: In a sauce pot, combine rice and 2 cups of chicken stock. Cook on medium heat, stirring often, until cooked (about 10 minutes). Add cheese, salt, and pepper, and combine well.

Creamed Spinach
- Cook bacon and onion together until onions are translucent and bacon is browned. Add 1 cup of chicken stock to deglaze the pan. Add spinach. Once mixture comes to a boil, add cream, cheese, crushed red pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to a simmer, mixture will thicken.

Once creamed spinach is done, combined with risotto and serve.

Lemon Scented Brodetto
- ¼ cup of chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of onion, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- the juice of half a lemon

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Once the mixture begins to boil, immediately turn off heat and serve.


Isn't this beautiful - it was on sale - more beautiful, right?
















I'm in love with this pic. This is what would bring the world peace.















Bacon & onion...deglazed with chicken stock...yummo!
















The start to something good - creamed spinach risotto















And aerial view...to show proportion - thanks for catching this Nik (I love her!)













The final plating!















Let's not forget to watch this:


47 comments:

The Dreamy One said...

ok I am not even gonna lie to you but your girl doesnt do salmon!!

but the dish does look beautiful, was it good????

Hope that your Sunday was wonderful!!

kyotic said...

Now that look good...I just tried your other salmon dish and loved it! Check me out over there I tried, faultered a bit but still it was a delicious dish for a late Sunday meal!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

@dreamy one, you can do chicken instead. Or any other kind of flaky white fish.

D, looks like you did a good job. I bet that brodetto was banging.

glamah16 said...

Great dish. I love lemon sauces and such. It can never get to lemomy for me. I wish CS like lemon as much. Do you go to Costco and get your salmon? Where do you shop here? Just curious becuase I will drive all over town for a bargain.

Proud Italian Cook said...

I'm Lovin the risotto! In fact I made some today myself. This whole meal looks and sounds terrific Darius!

Keisha "Kitten" Isaacs said...

Let me just brag and say that I GOT A CHANCE TO TASTE THIS DISH!!!!! Yum Yum Yummy

yet another black guy said...

Oh i've got to have the left overs!

Jan said...

I'm liking the sound and look of 'Parmesan Crusted' Salmon'! Yumo

LadyLee said...

That looks VERY good. I've never tried to cook risotto before. I may try this!

houstonmacbro said...

OMG! I love salmon and this dish looks wonderful! How come I'm not getting invites to dinner again?

fuzzy said...

Something very similar to a dish I made while I was at this restaurant i got hired at. I gotta talk to you about this one... hit me up in IM or i'll text you...

Janine said...

Always looking for more ways to make salmon. So good and good for you! Keep the salmon recipes coming:)

Love the video, looking forward to seeing your youtube series!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Gorgeous presentation. I like the idea of creamed spinach in risotto.

Jeanne said...

Parmesan crusted salmon - now if that can't bring about world peace, nothing can. You rock my world!

Dee said...

Very nice, D! But what is a brodetto?
By the way, congratulations! You so deserve it :)

OhioMom said...

I love the risotto, sans the bacon my food critic would eat this. Lovely presentation!

Barbara GF said...

I'm loving the creamed spinach risotto, Darius. You are truly an inventive cook — and your enthusiasm is contagious — nice job!

Anonymous said...

This looks beautiful! I'm going to try collards in my risotto with this recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Joie de vivre said...

Darius,
I love the triangle plates and your presentation!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That risotto is gorgeous, even without with salmon. Lovely presentation too!

Chou said...

Hey, congrats on the award!!! I tried voting and the system cast me out before I had a chance. Grrr. Great plating, I can't wait to try this dish.

Anonymous said...

recently skinned an entire 20 pounder! It was great! Enjoy all that salmon! :)

Anonymous said...

Are you turning Italian, Kiddo? ;) haha
Good job! You might just be the next food network star :)

Christine said...

This is awesome, you have three things going on here!

I love salmon. I usually pan-fry it with olive oil, salt, and pepper, but the parmesan crust sounds incredible!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I just may have to make some salmon. We've had cod, tilapia, and yellowfin in the last week...fishy mood! But that risotto! Mine always ends up goopey.

La Bella Cooks said...

I am loving that risotto! All of it looks and sounds fabulous. You have some great ideas, Darius!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That's a wonderful meal! Your Creamed Spinach Risotto looks mighty scrumptious! Great video!

Cheers,

Rosa

Meanshots22 said...

thank god u posted this on your blog because i was getting tired of salmon patties

Ticia said...

Damn - I love it!

Anonymous said...

Don't ever use the work 'yum-o' ever again!! It's Rachel Ray's catchphrase and you cook wayyy better than her. Why don't you replace her on TV my friend? :-)

Sexxy Luv said...

i'm ready to move in with you!

looks delicious as usual! :)

Jazzy said...

I'm so hungry I don't even know what to say.

Might try to make this over the weekend!

One Man’s Opinion said...

I gotta says that I enjoy coming over and seeing the food that you cook. I don't think I can do it, but I like to look at it.

Just for the record, I did read you other blog as well, but decided to just post a comment here.

MrsSaditty said...

From one foodie to another, that risotto looks perfect...the texture has it going on!

Erin said...

Ooh, that looks tasty! I just finished lunch, and am totally stuffed, yet I still would eat that if it was in front of me right now!

Prince Todd said...

Damn, this one got my stomach calling. I am going to copy the recipe for myself!

amycaseycooks said...

I am loving the risotto and creamed spinach recipe. I can't wait to make it.

Christo Gonzales said...

did somebody say salmon, or did I just sniff it out...

She Draws said...

that is a beautiful dish!

NKP said...

Your plating is beautiful, and your dinner has all my favourite flavours.
I am totally coveting your triangle plates too.
You are getting famous my friend, don't forget us little people!

Suite B said...

I think i could pull this one off. I'm not a cook but damn you made it seem so easy. Can you just come and cook for me and then I lie and say it was me...LOL

Maria Verivaki said...

lovely risotto - greeeks do a similar thing called spanakorizo;

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love all the flavours here. This is something I would definitely order if I were in a restaurant ....it is that amazing:D

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

The perfect meal.
I don't think I've ever met a risotto I haven't loved. It must be the Italian thang!

Gloria Baker said...

Darius, look really fantastic, I love it!!!Loive salmon! Gloria

Nazarina A said...

I am absolutely in love! in love with your creativity!!!!!

Anonymous said...

order xanax effects getting high xanax - lexapro xanax and alcohol