Wednesday, October 8, 2008

5 Spice Crispy Chicken

**Be sure to click on any of the pictures to enlarge them...you owe it to yourself to click on this one***

It's simple and easy. This takes no more than 20 minutes to prepare from start to finish. Give it a try...I dare you!

-DTW

2 clusters of cellophane noodles
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 cup of vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 fresh red chilli, seeded and sliced
1 whole red bell pepper, very thinly sliced
2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips
1 cup of frozen whole green beans
3 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons of soy sause
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
1 cup of flour
½ cup of cornstarch
1 teaspoon of five spice powder
Salt and pepper

Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Drain and set aside. Heat the oil in a pan, then add garlic, chilli, red pepper, carrots, and green beans (I added thinly sliced onion too) and stir-fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until veggies start to soften. Add sauces and sugar and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add drained noodles, toss to combines, and remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.

Season chicken strips with salt, pepper, and five spice powder. Mix cornstarch and flour together. Toss with chicken to coat evenly. Heat vegetable oil in a clean skillet and shallow fry the chicken until crisp and golden. When done drain on a paper towel. Serve by placing noodle mixture on bottom and chicken strips on top. Dust the entire plate with a bit more five spice powder and enjoy.




The stir fry veggies simmering in the sauce!


















A final plating presentation!

















I was about to do a taste test!


















Another angle - I don't think the triangle plate is going anywhere anytime soon - lol. We're in a recession!


















Chicken - it's being seasoned with the five spice, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.


















Giving the chicken a shallow fry.


















The package of cellophane noodles - they're great!


















The veggies. All I cut were onions and the bell pepper. Oh, I minced the garlic. But the carrots and green beans totally came out of a package all ready to go.


















Starting the veggies - before the sauces!

42 comments:

Proud Italian Cook said...

I happen to like your triangle plate, but with all that good food on their I would suggest a platter!
You can't get takeout like this!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, yummy! I love five spice powder! That chicken dish looks really appealing and delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Maria Verivaki said...

excellent dish - i might have to repeat this one some day!

Dee said...

Oh, very nice! And the peppers make for a real pretty meal too.

Dee said...

Btw, how do I subscribe to your posts? I can't find the button thingy. Yes, I'm that big an idiot.

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks so good! The veggies are so colourful!

tavolini said...

oh the colors!! I love it--the colors, the presentation--okay, I'm ready to eat :)

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Looks so yummy! Much better than take out.

Jazzy said...

I always come over here and leave drooling!! I have to get some of that five spice powder. I just googled it...sweet, sour, bitter, savory, and salty...sounds good to me!

Peter M said...

Great use of chinese 5-spice Darius...I have to start using some up in my pantry.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Mmmm MMMMM! I haven't doen a stir fry in a long time and this looks so good!

Thansk for all your best wishes and commentswhile I was away! I appreciate them all!

Bunny said...

This looks great! You did a fantastic job!

Nicole said...

Wonder how it would work with beef? Looks so good and I was thinking of doing a chicken lettuce wrap and some sort of Chinese inspired beef this weekend.

La Bella Cooks said...

This looks really appealing with all the gorgeous colors from the veggies. I'm loving the chicken as well!

houstonmacbro said...

Darius, I wish I had the time to cook like this. You do such a wonderful job of presentation, cooking, and photography.

test it comm said...

I recently picked up some Chinese five spice powder and I have been looking for ways to use it. This crispy chicken looks good!

Erin said...

Thought I don't do it enough, I like cooking Asian food at home. This looks tasty. And I love the noodles... I'm always looking for Chinese or Thai recipes that involve noodles. I was at Noodles and Company in Evanston last weekend, and I determined that a restaurant focused on Noodles was the perfect dining destination for me!

Cate said...

Mmm, the crispy chicken is totally making my mouth water.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

So colorfull! It's a beautiful plate of food and delicious for sure! I also like the actual plate, really cool to have triangular plates!

Tina said...

Ooooh looks like a good one!

Lori Lynn said...

OK Darius - I did as instructed and did myself a huge favor and clicked to enlarge that tasty looking chicken!
YUM, thanks!

Lori Lynn said...

Hey Darius - looks like we were commenting on each other's blogs at the same time!

Finla said...

WOw looks so DELICIOUS. I love this dish. I wa snot hungry but now that i have seen this I really want to have them.

PG CakeCraft said...

hi Darius, u hve a wonderful site and the pics r really awesome. ur 5spice crispy chicken is an Asian(more of a chinese)inspired dish. we can get fresh cellophane noodles here but they tend to be oily so i'd rather use the dried ones.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the triangle plate... I'm loving the fork!!!

glamah16 said...

Wonderful Darius. You got an Asian thing going lately and I love it.Beats takeout .

Barbara GF said...

You're a very creative cook, Darius. I like your Asian sauce for the veggies — I'll have to give that a try, maybe with some tofu!

NKP said...

Yum, I love this dish.
chicken, noodles, spices, all my faves. Looks like there is enough to share with me!?

Gloria Baker said...

Darius really look fantastic!!! Gloria

giz said...

I think in my next life I'll be a cook for a Chinese buffet and I'm taking this recipe with me. It looks so good.

One Man’s Opinion said...

Okay, I didn't know you could click on the pictures. I don't know why I didn't know, seeing that it should have gone without saying. The pictures really do pop when you see them on a larger scale.

The CDM said...

Cellophane noodles???? Well, dip me in mustard and call me hot dog. I have never heard of those. At running the risk of looking like an absolute idiot, are those the same as rice sticks?

Rich Fitzgerald said...

Dang D, you gone have a cooking show in a minute. This stuff looks gooder than a mug. (yeah, I got country on you.)

Next time i'm in the chi, you got to hook a brother up.

Unknown said...

Looks great!!! I love those noodles.

Any Little Reason said...

Wow, that looks incredible - and I'm loving the step-by-step!

Anonymous said...

now i want chicken. i always want chicken. more chicken. mas pollo!

OhioMom said...

I love it, great pics too!

Anonymous said...

Darius, this had me from the title, let alone the mouth-watering pics! Oh my!

Miss Snarky Pants said...

Typically, I'm afraid of "colorful" food but this here...

Ooh La La!!! :-)

Dining Alone said...

I had issues with cellophane noodles last time I tried to cook them, I may have to try again.

Deeba PAB said...

What a great five spice dish...mouth-watering indeed!

Mrs Ergül said...

I made this and I love it! Thanks for the recipe!