Sunday, October 5, 2008

It's Autum...Good Use for Apples

Pork Chops with Apple Sage Gravy over a Rosemary Potato Hash

Sounds like a lot, right? It’s not – but it’s perfect for this time of year. Imagine apples, pork, sage, onions, and potatoes all wrapped up. This is what this dish brings! It’s Fall – a wonderful time of the year. Why not enjoy it with a wonderful dish. Let’s Cook.

 

Pork Chops with Apple Sage Gravy

4 boneless pork chops

½ teaspoon of salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, and celery seed.

¼ cup of flour

Oil for frying

2 firm fleshed apples (Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, Gala, etc)

¼ cup of diced onion

1 teaspoon of cornstarch

1 ½ cups of chicken stock

1 teaspoon of dried sage

Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oil to 375 degrees. Season pork chops with salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, and celery seed. If possible, let marinate for up to 4 hours. Coat with flour. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel. Discard all except ¼ cup of oil from pan. Add apples and onions. Cook until soft and translucent being sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. Add cornstarch and whisk in chicken stock and sage. Cook until thickened. Taste for salt and pepper. If necessary, adjust seasoning. Spoon sauce over pork chops.

 

Rosemary Potato Hash

7 large Russet potatoes, sliced into ½ inch disks

1 large onion, sliced

3 cloves of garlic, minced

¼ cup of vegetable oil

2 tablespoons of salt

2 tablespoons of pepper

1 tablespoon of chopped dried rosemary

½ cup of water

On a medium high skillet, combine all ingredients and cover with a lid. While cooking steam from the water will steam the potatoes. When almost fork tender, remove lid and continue cooking until water has evaporated. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. 


Final plating!

















Pork - it's the other white meat for sure!


















Pork chops frying! Yum!

















Onions and potatoes!

















Adjusting the seasoning. No BLAND food!

















The sauce is thickening!

37 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That dish sounds and looks mighty gorgeous! Pork, potatoes and apples, that's a wonderful combo!

Cheers and have a nice week,

Rosa

Maria Verivaki said...

a fantastic autumn dish for colder days

Anonymous said...

That looked soo good. I love pork. I am definitely gon ahave to cook that one.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious. I've never seen hog look so tasty. Man you are the hotness.

Gloria Baker said...

This look fantastic! Darius!! xGloria

Gloria Baker said...

Hey Darius the onions look so tasty! x

Dee said...

Aren't apples and pork like the perfect combination? I've also been smashing my potatoes with rosemary A LOT recently. There are no coincidences my friend, just brilliant minds :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. I can almost smell that cooking here! You should totally submit an entry to FN's next star contest, that looks heavenly!

Peter M said...

Darius, this dinner sounds wonderful...I really like the potato-rosemary hash...nice one!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

Yup, apples and pork. It's fall, alright. Fallin' right into my mouth!

RealHustla said...

Looks delish! I'm going to try it ASAP. But can I ask, what's your cholesterol level look like, LOL. I love apples.

RealHustla said...

See I came back to start my grocery list. Am I missing something? Where does the sage come in?

NKP said...

You did it again Daruis!
And here I am with no dinner made yet. I do have dessert ready - wish I lived closer, I'd make a little trade!

Anonymous said...

Apple sage gravy sounds PERFECT right now!

OhioMom said...

Apple sage gravy does sound wonderful, and very autumnish :)

La Bella Cooks said...

I'd love to give the potato hash a try. Anything with rosemary is a winner in my book!

Jan said...

Now that is looking GOOD! I love the potato hash you've made. As for the apple gravy......Double YUM!!

Veronica said...

I am all over that potato hash! It's pretty cool here today I may have to give that a try, it sounds comforting.

Prudy said...

I love the sound of apple and sage in your gravy.

deonte' k said...

Looks good.

Anonymous said...

This looks really tasty! I love the apple and sagey gravy. Yum!

sonya said...

Shame on you for making this divine food & not sending it to us! Do you think this would work okay for chicken?

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I wish I was having dinner at your house.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Man that looks good! Well done you!

Naapali said...

Dude this site is toxic to my waistline! When can I come take part in your next taping session?

Miss Snarky Pants said...

It's unfortunate that I can't cook to save my life cuz THAT looks/sounds REALLY REALLY good! :-)

Mmmmmmmm

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I agree that this meal is perfect for this time of the year Darius!!!!I enjoy haow you solve all my meal decisions by offering us a full meal in one:D

Finla said...

I love the combo with pork chops and apple.
Would love to have that whole plate, sucg a gearty dish.
I am sure after having this one would have a real satisfaction.

Keith said...

You're the man..I'm fixing this tonight for my family...

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Pork and apples are practically synonmous with fall. This looks wonderful. I like your spin on potatoes.

Jameil said...

oh food. i haven't gone the pork and apple route yet but food mags are replete w/those recipes this time of year.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

We love pork chops and apples so this sounds divine!

test it comm said...

Pork, apples and sage, what a great flavour combo!

glamah16 said...

I love pork and apples!

Any Little Reason said...

Ok, can't stop reading - what a perfect combination of flavors. That is an amazing dish for Fall!

Unknown said...

you had me at apples... it's like a grown up pork chops w/applesauce :) love it!
ps- thanks for visiting my blog!

Jeanne said...

There are few things that make me happier than pork with apples. OK, maybe adding sage woudl make me happier - and you've done that! What a perfect seasonal dish.